Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mission.....Possible!

Last August, a personal first happened for me. It was my first ever DNF in a race - to make matters worse, it was the National XC Champs. To pull out of the race, give up my chance of a selection at Ekiden Relays, and lose respect for myself and from others, I was keen to make amends this weekend. The race - NSW State 12km XC champs. The location - Nowra. The instructions from the Coach - just finish the race.

After heading down to Bulli on the Friday night and being accommodated by the Gregson family, I got to the course feeling pretty fresh and excited to run. It was damn windy, and a little chilly, but everyone was going to cop the same weather - I just had to get on with it.

As the gun went, a big pack formed around the first corner, and it stayed for a good 2km, as a result of the slow pace. Mark Warren went to the front, and no one challenged. This was interesting - usually in WA when someone puts the pace on everyone responds.



By half way through the second lap, I was sitting in pretty with Gregson, James Nipperess and Russ Chin, and Warren was still 75m ahead. It wasnt until the back hill did we pass Warren, and momentarily, I was dropped. But the boys relaxed down the hill, and I pushed forward - leading down the hill and through to the dipper. It was here that Gregson kicked again, and I lost contact. Going through with 1 lap to go, I was 10m off the back of the pack, and there was times where I thought I could get back on, but in the end, I finished 7 seconds behind Chinny - a result I was certainly proud of - not only finishing, but holding onto a quality lead bunch, and staying in the race for as long as possible!

Nedless to say, the long run today was tough - and its only going to get a bit tougher - 2 hours on Sundays and 90mins on Wednesdays being the norm from next week. But the bigger picture is what counts.


1 comment:

DB on the run said...

gee mate keep pace with gregson and chinny good stuff