Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Why I'm Running for NSW


For me, this senior National XC is going to be different than the previous 7 I’ve competed at for two reasons. One, I feel fully prepared both physically and mentally for the first time in a long time. Second of all, I wont be running for WA.

Now I know this is going to disappoint a lot of guys back in Perth, and I need to wear that. But here is my reasoning.

Since I moved to NSW two months ago, I have been part of a team. When we arrived at Sydney, one of the boys was there to pick us up, welcoming us with open arms. Every session, the same core group turns up day in day out. Not only sessions, but also easy runs. We warm up together, we warm down together. We go out for coffee and breakfast together. Every day I run with team Green, it reminds me why I came to Sydney – because I wanted to train with a group of runners, not by myself.

These guys and girls have done a lot for me, from giving me lifts to training, to including me in out of running events. It just so happens that out of the 6 that are likely to be selected for the NSW team, the top 3 are going to be from our team – Jeff Hunt, James Nipperess and Russ Dessiax Chin.

When I told the boys that I wanted to run for WA, they were disappointed, and I can see why. They do a lot for me, and these guys want a national title pretty bad. So this is the way I am going to repay them, by jumping on as the 4th runner, and working hard to get NSW a team medal.

Since leaving the SchoolSport WA team, I’ve been to every National XC since 2005. And what I've realised, is that apart from Perth in 2007, I’ve been about the only one. Coming from a boys school, team athletics was something I was immersed in, and something that I loved. So I couldn’t understand why there was no support from my fellow WA runners when it came to national events. 2005 there was one WA guy, 2006 there was 3, 2008 there was 2, 2009 there was only me. So it would annoy me for people to think I’m deserting WA, because I’ve never felt like my fellow WA runners have got behind our state XC team, rather wanting to run the Perth City to Surf, and stay in the fishbowl.

I don’t want this to look like an attack on my mates in Perth, because its not. The guys in Perth have been part of my life for the last 8-10 years of my running career. But while will always be home, I currently hold a NSW drivers license, I train with a group of guys in Sydney, and I’m going to the polls to vote in Sydney. Ill finally toe the line with a group of guys that all want to win a title. So while ill always be the kid from WA, I'm currently part of a team in Sydney.

4 comments:

Biscuitman said...

Good on you Courtney. I think the reasoning behind your decision is spot on. I am surprised you are eligible to run for NSW after only having lived there for 2 months though

trailblazer777 said...

Sounds good. Sounds like you are on the right track. If you want to be a big fish in a big bowl, you have to go all out. Over the years I have observed a number of top athletes make it to the AIS and or similiar level of performance and make the move the NSW or Victoria. Many of them have been swalloed up by the big bowl, and never raced again since. It takes something special to make it there. Sarah Jamieson is another ex-WA athlete who made it in Australia and to some extent on the world stage too...in the ancient history I think racewalker Don Keane did something similiar maybe. One of my training mates moved to Victoria, and when I was doing Nationals as a racewalker I thought about it a few times. Well done on having the courage to go and train and race with the nations best. never forget where you come from, and the wisdom of people like Ray, come visit us sometimes, but stay focused on making the most of your opportunities there and doing NSW and Australia proud. You've already done WA proud many times. Way to go!

DB on the run said...

I am concerned that youre staying up until ridiculuous hours to watch an even more ridiculous team try to play footy!

I am also concerned how fast youre going to run when you return to perth: fast!

Andrew Govus said...

At the end of the day Courts, you've done what is right for you and its paid off. Whilst I'm not quite the runner you are, a similar move (to Canberra) for me in terms of my learning and own running is certainly paying off already!

WA is coming on. Still a lot to learn but I reckon we'll get there mate.